As the year comes to an end Goodman Lantern summarised venture and angel funding in various sectors reported by VentureBeat. The clear winner is E-commerce based on it's growth in Asia:
- Wearables: $10m
- Web hosting: $15m
- Internet of Things (IoT): $17.8m
- eHealth: $21.4m
- Rentals / Travel: $21.8m
- Games: $30m
- Social Media: $40m
- Betting / Fantasy Sports: $43.7m
- Recruitment: $44m
- Digital Subscription: $115.7m
- Platforms: $123.1m
- Streaming: $150.5m
- Video / Music / Streaming: $173.8m
- Ecommerce: $300m
- Video / Music / Streaming: Musx overhauls its streaming music app, raises $500K December 10, 2014 3:00 AM | Tom Cheredar
- Video / Music / Streaming: SoundCloud reportedly raising another $150M to join the $1B valuation club
- Rentals / Travel: VaycayHero grabs $2.8M to take the pain out of vacation rentals
- Digital Subscriptions: Next Issue raises $50M to become a Netflix for digital magazines
- Ecommerce: Rocket Internet’s Amazon clone Lazada secures $250M Digital Subscriptions: Pluto TV takes $13M for its free linear TV streaming serviceYoubetme
- Betting / Fantasy Sports: Youbetme grabs $2.7M to help you keep track of all your bets
- Ecommerce: Ecommerce juggernaut Bigcommerce nabs $50M
- eHealth: Florida-based Modernizing Medicine has raised $15 million of a $20 million round to support the development and marketing of its cloud-based, specialty-specific electronic health records (EHR) platform.
- Digital Subscription: Roku raises $25 million amid growing competition from Amazon and Google
- Digital Subscription: Cratejoy grabs $4M to give anyone their own monthly subscription service
- Wearables: Atlas raises $1.1M to power its Motion Genome Project, a motion database for wearables
- Wearables: Pristine grabs $5.4M to cure the doctor shortage and save lives with Google Glass
- Digital Subscription: Application delivery platform startup PowWow has raised a new $2.5 million round of funding today to help businesses work from mobile devices.
- Video / Music / Streaming: Video startup JW Player has raised a fresh $20 million round of funding to grow beyond its status as one of the most used non-YouTube video players.
- Social Media: Snowball Finance (Xueqiu in Chinese), the Chinese finance-focused social media site, announced that the company has raised $40 million in Series C funding led by Renren Inc. and joined by existing investor MorningSide Ventures. The company raised a Series A funding of US$10 million last year, and $3.2 million in 2011.
- Video / Music / Streaming: Feed.fm picks up $1.2M to inject music into your marketing campaignMoney
- Video / Music / Streaming: Streaming music service 8tracks has secured $1.28 million in new funding, according to an SEC Form D filed today.
- Wearables: Ybrain just raised $3.5 million to further development of its Alzheimer’s treating healthcare wearable.
- Web Hosting: Wikia, a web hosting company of community-based websites for fans of movies, bands, games, and other subjects, has brought on $15 million in fresh funding.
- Platform: Glassbeam just raised $2 million to expand its SCALAR machine data analytics platform.
- Platform: Lumiata raises $5M to further its optimized medical-care analytics
- Betting / Fantasy Sports: DraftKings grabs $41M for its cash-rewards fantasy football league
- Platform: Product-management platform Wizeline raises $6.7M
- Platforms: Financial planning company, FeeX, just raised $6.5 million to help more consumers save money on hidden investment fees.
- Recruitment: Resumator grabs $15M because investors can't get enough recruiting software
- Recruitment: Popular recruiting software, The Resumator, landed $15 million to expand internally and externally.
- Rentals / Travel: Airport car-rental service RelayRides just received $10 million in funding to push expansion and fuel app development.
- eHealth: Acupera pulls in $4M to help health providers better understand their patients. Acupera’s system mines data from electronic health records, medical claims, and lab results to help doctors and nurses better care for their patients.
- IoT: The Internet of Things heats up with CyberLightning landing $4.2 million funding for global expansion.
- Platform: Investment management platform Axial has raised a new $11 million round of funding, the startup announced today.
- Platforms: Online meal delivery service Foodpanda has raised a fresh $60 million round of funding, the company announced today.
- Platforms: Quettra gets $2.9M in new funding to give advertisers more customer dataFunding daily cat
- Video / Music / Streaming: Today, FameBit has announced that it has completed a $1.4 million seed round of funding, which will help it scale its team and give more YouTubers the opportunity to make money off their creativity.
- eHealth: Healthy-living photo community PumpUp raises $2.4M in seed funding July 24, 2014 11:07 AM | Brenda Barron PumpUp, a fitness social network for primarily women, just raised $2.4 million in seed funding with General Catalyst Partners leading the round.
- Platform: Movius raises $13M to give BYOD users multiple phone lines, split billing on one device. The company plans to use the money to take its two core products global.
- Games: Mobile game maker, Social Point, just received $30 million in funding in a round led by Highland Capital Partners Europe.
- Digital Subscription: Online graphic design tool, Canva, raised $3.6 million more in funding and announced plans for third-party integration. Digital Subscription: Speaktoit raises $2.6M to build an army of 'personal assistants'. The company develops what an “intelligent companion,” which acts like Apple’s Siri but operates across devices and comes with a face. Platform: Vision Critical raises $16M in additional funding. Vision Critical receives $16 million more in funding to expand its customer intelligence platform.
- IOT: Smart climate control maker tado° secures $13.6 million to fuel global expansion.
- Recruitment: Jobandtalent recruitment platform raises $14 million more in funding.
- Rentals / Travel: Montreal-based bus-ticket booking company Busbud has pulled in $9 million in a Series A round of funding, it announced today.
- Digital Subscription: Cloud Engines, the company behind Pogoplug, raised another $2 million in funding for its cloud storage service.